Friday, January 8, 2016

The Cup

On the eve of his being taken prisoner, tortured, and crucified, Jesus prayed, "If you will, let this cup pass from me." What cup? You know what the cup is. You have been drinking of it since you assumed human form. The cup of betrayal, of heart-wrenching aloneness, of scorn, of neglect, of abandonment. We drink of this cup, down to its bitter dregs. This is the nature of being human.

What is this cup? A cup is form and capaciousness. What it holds, its contents, varies. The cup is transformed by its contents. Hurtful, scornful, angry, fearful contents acidify the cup. The cup is nailed to the cross of space and time. We are this cup.

What is this cup? This cup is form and capaciousness. What fills the cup transforms the cup. The cup resurrects through capaciousness, room. Opening. Opening to the Light that births us and all that is. The Light of Awareness.

When a young boy, my heart was broken. I talked with my Mama. She said, "Son, you have a choice. You can either shut your heart down to protect yourself and be bitter angry. You can keep your heart open no matter the pain." I chose the latter though at times I feel it slamming shut.

I then pray what Jesus added: "Yet not as I will, but as You will." Who is this "You?" You have to answer that for yourself. As for me, I know who You is.

The cup I drink from now is the Grail. All it contains is Light. Sure, sometimes I drink from the cup of pissedness. Then I laugh and say "What do you think you are doing?" When laughter comes, pissedness disappears. Light and Laughter go together.

So be crucified, my friends, as long as it takes. But remember, though circumstances may have put you on the cross, you are the one who keeps you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment